Thursday, March 17, 2011

Picking Battles


If you feel the small problems begin, breathe. Everything starts out small. Tiny irritations wait in the wings threatening tidal waves if unattended.....or maybe not.
We attempt to overlook most discrepancies, afterall no one is exempt from foibles and flaws. But, one can push an enormous car under the rug and life can remain calm until the motor starts...

If we've learned anything from our past we pick our battles carefully but realize also (hopefully) the necessity in picking. Then begins the careful dance of sifting, weighing out and throwing away, of grasping tight even under duress - and holding on with pure might. This is an essential, difficult part of life to master (or even gain basic understanding of) that no one teaches us about in school. What defines importance for you? This question is uniquely yours to answer and no one can do it for you.

When to let it slide? and when to dig in. Either choice beckons the question, "At what cost?" well, my friend, that is your solo battle to bargain. Many will advise you, few will be right. (whatever right means)

I've learned in my own life that small problems are often symptoms of bigger enchiladas to fry - but not always. I don't want to be a 'Cynical Susie' with no hope for whimsical, get-through-it times. I want to think the world and its occupants are smarter and more loving than i generally see. I know there's always a story behind every story which begs the conclusion; Nothing is black or white, easy or hard, right or wrong, stay or go. Rose tinted glasses or fog glazed spectacles, life is still, and always a beautiful but burdened ride.

2 comments:

  1. "But, one can push an enormous car under the rug and life can remain calm until the motor starts..."

    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend said to me just last week:
    "Yes I have bruises from fighting but I'm Okay with that" :)

    ReplyDelete