Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Appearances

Appearances can be deceiving - we've all heard that. Often it can work in your favor . Let's just say you're a bit like me and your best attire is a pair of Docker pants without holes and a t shirt that doesn't say 'gone fishin' with a clumsy stain in the middle. So you put on those best duds, run a brush through your unruly, dyed-too-dark mane and saunter into a nice store.

You know the kind - the ones your mother drug you into when you were a kid and hated. She always said 'Stand up straight' and 'Don't touch!' As a kid you loathed them because 1) they never had kid stuff. 2) your Mom never bought anything interesting. 3) the sales person was always stuck up. Yeah, those stores. Now you look down and see bumps (when did those get there?) and realize you are an A-DOLT and can slouch and touch all the boring stuff you want to. Yay.

But because appearances can be deceiving, your wallflower meets Barney Fife look might just come in handy! when you walk into a posh furniture store say, and look like the priciest thing you've ever bought is a 2 for 1 X-Men T.v. Tray, you might suddenly find yourself hassle-free and walking through the suede and leather barcalounger sets like a ghost.  You might find yourself wafting by $3,000 price tags like an invisible wind if you know how to look poor enough.

The same can be said in Car lots, although those poor bastards could badger an empty bag blowing through their overpriced lot. So, this one might be trickier. I would probably suggest going into full combat gear and blackening out a few teeth, forgetting your shirt (extra points for a woman) or say talking to yourself and waving your arms around violently. This should do the trick. If this by chance doesn't work, i would succumb to giving them the sale and thinking highly of them for sheer courage alone.

I realize even pesky sales people are people too. I've been there and was never good at it. But i don't think I'm alone when i say "Down boy!"

I think it's fair to say no one likes being pestered, pushed or followed into a dressing room. (If you do there is therapy for that). 'Overly attended to' is probably the most appropriate thing to say, but appropriate is overrated and so are appearances.

The truth is, i can afford to dress nicer and drive a better car. I just chose not to. I could afford to look like i want to be bothered, but I don't. You can breathe new life in the girl, but her lifestyle will remain.

For now, i enjoy being invisible and hassle-free. And the sick part of me will enjoy even more when i go to make that boring, expensive purchase for something i think i finally need, in my plain wall paper style, and look up to see the confused expression of the sales person as i purchase my overpriced item outright, no financing needed thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment